Raspberry pie filling and homemade chocolate frosting jazz up a packaged cake mix in this picture-perfect torte created by our Test Kitchen. With a hint of rum flavor, it’s rich and creamy for special occasions, but so simple to do, you could prepare it on weeknights, too.
Recommended: 34 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups raspberry cake and pastry filling
- Chocolate curls
- Sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions; fold in chopped almonds. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake as directed. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut each cake into two horizontal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup raspberry filling and 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layers.
- Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag with a star tip #195. Decorate top and sides of cake as desired. Garnish with chocolate curls. Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Butter Torte in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p51
Reviews forRaspberry Butter Torte
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 9, 2011
"This is excellent. I made it for dessert for Mother's Day and everyone loved it."