- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, butter, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. On greased baking sheets, roll each portion into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Cut each rectangle into three 14x4-in. strips. Spoon 2 tablespoons jam down the center of each strip. Bring long edges together over filling; pinch to seal. Braid three strips together; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with the remaining strips. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat egg and water; brush over loaves. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Brush over warm loaves. Yield: 2 loaves (15 slices each).
Reviews forRaspberry Butter Braids
"I made this yesterday, I will be making it again. It is delicious..I was bad and did add a thin layer of cream cheese mixed with some sugar before I put the raspberry jam on....This recipe passed my test and I will be making more for Christmas Goody GiveAways..My Husband is not big on Sweets,however, He loved this and is taking 1 of the loaves to work to share..Happy baking!!!!"