Raspberry Apple Cake
This recipe won first prize at the annual Apple Festival in Lincoln County, North Carolina! It’s not your usual apple cake—you spread raspberry jam over the crust, then cover that with apple pie filling and a sour cream topping. I hope it’s a winner in your book, too. —Pinkie Mosteller, Lincolnton, North Carolina
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Remove cake. Spread with jam and top with pie filling. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over filling. Combine the sour cream, vanilla and remaining sugar; spread over top.
- 4. Bake 10 minutes longer or until topping is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled.
1 piece: 471 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC