This recipe won first prize at the annual Apple Festival in Lincoln County, North Carolina! It’s not your usual apple cake—you spread raspberry jam over the crust, then cover that with apple pie filling and a sour cream topping. I hope it’s a winner in your book, too.
Recommended: 21 Luscious Christmas Cheesecake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove cake. Spread with jam and top with pie filling. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over filling. Combine the sour cream, vanilla and remaining sugar; spread over top.
- Bake 10 minutes longer or until topping is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until chilled. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Raspberry Apple Cake in Country Extra September 2006, p49