Ranchero Grilled Steak Wraps
Flat iron steak is a lean cut of beef so take care not to overcook it. The ancho chili-mayonnaise sauce give the meat a nice smoky flavor. —Patricia Harmon, Baden, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 beef flat iron steak or top sirloin steak (1 pound)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 fat-free flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup torn romaine
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Place chilies in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Remove the stems, seeds and skins. Finely chop and place in a small bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, garlic and honey; set aside.
- Season steak with salt and pepper to taste. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Spread 3 tablespoons of ancho mayonnaise over each tortilla. Thinly slice steak across the grain; divide evenly among tortillas. Top with avocado, cheese, romaine, tomatoes and onion. Roll up.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 655 calories, 40g fat (11g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 879mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Ranchero Grilled Steak Wraps with Ancho-Cilantro Mayo in Taste of Home Magazine - Best Loved Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.