- 2 cups dried lentils (4 cups cooked)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Rinse the lentils. In a heavy saucepan, bring lentils, salt and 4 cups water to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef over medium heat in a skillet until meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat. Stir in soup mix, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and remaining water. Gently stir in lentils. Spoon into a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forRanch-Style Baked Lentils
"good originally not really a good leftover"
"Wow. This dish is sooo good. We ate it all by itself and it was a hit. It tastes like you are eating meatloaf, but it's healthy. I will back off on the ketchup a bit because there is a lot in this recipe. Otherwise...it's really good."
"I have made this dish many times in lieu of the usual baked beans. It never fails to draw comments at gatherings and there are never any leftovers."