Raisin Whole Wheat Quick Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 package (15 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the milk, butter and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots, raisins, dates, almonds and pecans.
- Transfer to three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 252 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 14, 2015
Can just one large pan like cast iron be used?
Oct 17, 2010
I substituted raisins and cranberries for part of the golden raisins for a little more variety
Nov 15, 2009
I tried this recipe yesterday for the first time. The results were great! I'm looking forward to having this bread (with butter, of course) for breakfast this week. I would definitely recommend it.