Raisin & Walnut Dark Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 12 slices)
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons water or flour if needed.
- Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in raisins and walnuts. Shape into a round loaf; transfer to prepared pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until dark golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Jun 19, 2017
This is delicious bread. I used a stand mixer rather than a bread machine and regular yeast instead of instant. My better half said it was the best bread I ever made. I will definitely hang on to this recipe. Thanks Bee and T.o.H.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.