Raisin & Walnut Dark Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 12 slices)
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons water or flour if needed.
- Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in raisins and walnuts. Shape into a round loaf; transfer to prepared pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until dark golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 19, 2017
This is delicious bread. I used a stand mixer rather than a bread machine and regular yeast instead of instant. My better half said it was the best bread I ever made. I will definitely hang on to this recipe. Thanks Bee and T.o.H.