VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the water and oats; let stand for 30 minutes. Add the molasses, butter and salt. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to oat mixture. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Stir in raisins and nuts. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place into two greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Raisin Molasses Yeast Bread in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p258