VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar and flour. Stir in sour cream, egg yolks, spices and salt until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in raisins; cover and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour hot raisin filling to pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over filling; seal edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 6-87 servings.
Originally published as Raisin Meringue Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2002, p53