It's easy to get on a roll in the morning when these cinnamony treats greet you at the table. Writes Carolyn Wolbers from Loveland, Ohio. "These tender rolls have the same sweet aroma and glistening glaze as bakery rolls...only without the guilt."
Recommended: 20 Recipes to Bake with Cinnamon
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated fat-fat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten, divided
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in 1-1/2 cups water until very tender; drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup (refrigerate any remaining potatoes for another use). Heat reserved cooking liquid to 110°-115° if necessary. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm liquid. Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk, honey, oil, salt, butter flavoring, remaining sugar, 2 cups flour and reserved potatoes. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into an 18-in. x 13-in. rectangle. Brush with some of the egg whites. Combine brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 18 slices. Place cut side down in two 9-in. square baking pans coated with cooking spray. Brush with some of the egg whites. Combine brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 18 slices. Place cut side down in two 9-in. square baking pans coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining egg white. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 18 rolls.
Originally published as Raisin Cinnamon Rolls in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p42
Reviews forRaisin Cinnamon Rolls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 22, 2010
"I have made these rolls for the last five years for Christmas brunch. They are wonderful. They make a very soft and tender roll."