Raisin Carrot Cake
This lightened-up moist cake is a favorite with my husband and son.—Joyce Donald, Star City, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in the sugar, applesauce and oil until well blended. Stir in the carrots, yogurt and water.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour. Combine the whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cloves and remaining all-purpose flour; add to batter just until moistened. Toss raisins with reserved flour; stir into batter.
- Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes our clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 279 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Raisin Carrot Cake in Country Woman September/October 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.