Raisin-Apple Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 slices day-old raisin bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or additional vanilla extract
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, toss apple rings with lemon juice. In a small skillet, saute apple in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Combine 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over top. Toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- 2. Place bread cubes in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Top with raisins and apple mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and remaining sugar.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine milk and salt; cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble around side of pan. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Stir in extracts. Pour over apple and raisins.
- 4. Place loaf pan in a 11x7-in. baking dish; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
1 each: 380 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Raisin-Apple Bread Pudding
"This is an excellent bread pudding. The apples go well and provide a nice contrast too. Flavours were in harmony. I made extra sauce and used it to pour over the pudding as an extra. Would recommend."