Raisin-Apple Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 slices day-old raisin bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or additional vanilla extract
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- In a small bowl, toss apple rings with lemon juice. In a small skillet, saute apple in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. Combine 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over top. Toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Top with raisins and apple mixture. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and remaining sugar.
- In a small saucepan, combine milk and salt; cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble around side of pan. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Stir in extracts. Pour over apple and raisins.
- Place loaf pan in a 11x7-in. baking dish; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 380 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Nov 21, 2012
This is an excellent bread pudding. The apples go well and provide a nice contrast too. Flavours were in harmony. I made extra sauce and used it to pour over the pudding as an extra. Would recommend.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.