- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 slices day-old raisin bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or additional vanilla extract
- Half-and-half cream, optional
- In a small bowl, toss apple rings with lemon juice. In a small skillet, saute apple in butter for 3 minutes or just until tender. Remove from the heat. Combine 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; sprinkle over apple. Toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Top with raisins and apple mixture. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and remaining sugar. In a small saucepan. combine milk and salt; cook just until the mixture begins to bubble around sides of pan. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Stir in extracts. Pour over apple and raisins.
- Place dish in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Reviews forRaisin-Apple Bread Pudding
"This is an excellent bread pudding. The apples go well and provide a nice contrast too. Flavours were in harmony. I made extra sauce and used it to pour over the pudding as an extra. Would recommend."