Rainbow Vegetable Skillet Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 1/2 in. water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until almost tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper and cinnamon; set aside. When squash is cool enough to handle, peel and discard rind. Cut flesh into 1/2-in. pieces.
- 3. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and squash; heat through. Transfer to a large bowl; add butter mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
3/4 cup: 106 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Rainbow Vegetable Skillet
"quick and tasty"
"This was way too sweet, which gave it an unusual taste."
"EXCELLENT RECIPE!!My family is very hard to please, and they just loved this dish!! Definitely going to serve this at special summer dinners!"
"I needed to cook the squash a little longer until it was almost tender; otherwise I made it like the recipe. Attractive and tasty!"
"i just tried this recipe and everyone loved it. I don't like cilantro so i added parsley instead. Great recipe!!!"