- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Green and red liquid food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into three portions. Tint one portion pink and one green. Leave one portion plain. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape each portion into a 15-in. roll. Place all three rolls on a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly; roll gently until rolls form one log. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forRainbow Swirls
"Oh my, the taste of the cookies took me back to the Swirl cookies we used to get from the bakery when I was a little girl. I'll be making them in red, green and white for Christmas!!"