Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Green and red liquid food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into three portions. Tint one portion pink and one green. Leave one portion plain. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Shape each portion into a 15-in. roll. Place all three rolls on a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly; roll gently until rolls form one log. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 144 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 13, 2009
Oh my, the taste of the cookies took me back to the Swirl cookies we used to get from the bakery when I was a little girl. I'll be making them in red, green and white for Christmas!!