VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Green and red liquid food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough into three portions. Tint one portion pink and one green. Leave one portion plain. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle. Shape each portion into a 15-in. roll. Place all three rolls on a large piece of plastic wrap. Wrap tightly; roll gently until rolls form one log. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Rainbow Swirls in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p94
Reviews forRainbow Swirls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2009
"Oh my, the taste of the cookies took me back to the Swirl cookies we used to get from the bakery when I was a little girl. I'll be making them in red, green and white for Christmas!!"