Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red paste food coloring
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Divide batter into six separate bowls, tinting each with food coloring to make purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red batter. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full, alternating tablespoonfuls of colored batter.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. If desired, using a new small paintbrush, paint five stripes with food coloring inside a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Fill bag with whipped cream. Pipe over cupcakes.
Apr 17, 2019
I think this is a great idea and had fun making it! The only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't clear (from listing 4 boxes of cake mix) that the frosting recipe is only enough for 12 cupcakes. Definitely make 3-4 time the amount of frosting!
Mar 23, 2019
I thought I was coming here to find a recipe for a cupcake that was lemon, lime, and raspberry. Not a box, with various food colors added to the batter. Not quite sure why this recipe would be submitted when the directions are clearly on the box of every box mix out there. I'll look at other sites, if this is the best TOH can give me.
Mar 13, 2019
Yeah! You made cupcakes from a cake mix....