I’ve been making these colorful cupcakes with my mom since I was in high school. The cheery sweets are as fun to make as they are to eat. —Tammy Quinn Ancaster, ON
Featured In: 23 Recipes for Classroom Treats
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red paste food coloring
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Divide batter into six separate bowls, tinting each with food coloring to make purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red batter. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full, alternating tablespoonfuls of colored batter.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. If desired, using a new small paintbrush, paint five stripes with food coloring inside a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Fill bag with whipped cream. Pipe over cupcakes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Rainbow Cupcakes in Most-Requested Cake Mix Recipes 2015, p61