“I cook my hearty entree, Ragu Bolognese, slowly, which creates a rich sauce that’s absolutely delicious. The veggies add fiber, and I use skim milk and turkey sausage to keep it lighter,” Mary Bilyeu writes from Ann Arbor, Michigan. The flavorful dish is great for family, but special enough for company.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon chopped ripe olives
- Crumble sausage into a nonstick Dutch oven. Add the carrot, celery and onion; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, vinegar and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Stir in milk. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Stir pesto and olives into meat sauce. Drain pasta; serve with meat sauce.