Rag Doll Salad
Both kids and adults will enjoy lunching with these imaginative dolls. They make having a healthy salad delicious and fun…so, go ahead and play with your food.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, cut lengthwise in half
- 2 tablespoons carrot curls
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 pimiento strips
- 1 medium tomato, halved
- 2 pitted ripe olives, halved
- 2/3 cup chicken or tuna salad
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 8 baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- For each salad, place an egg half at the top of a plate for doll's head. Arrange carrot curls around egg for hair. Insert cloves for eyes; position a pimiento strip for mouth.
- Place a tomato half below the egg; add olive halves for buttons. Spoon chicken salad below tomato; place a lettuce leaf over salad for skirt. For arms and legs, place baby carrots on either side of tomato and below the lettuce.
- Place mayonnaise in a small pastry or plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe stripes on carrot legs for stockings. Discard cloves before eating.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Raggedy Ann Salad in Country Woman May/June 2006