Race Day Burgers
My garden produced a bumper crop of basil one year and I needed ways to use it all. I added it to these burgers and now it is one of our family's comfort foods.—Virginia Kochis, Springfield, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 pieces string cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 loaves (14 ounces each) ciabatta bread, halved lengthwise
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Place tomatoes and water in a small bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain well; place tomatoes in a food processor. Add mayonnaise; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Cut each piece of string cheese in half lengthwise and widthwise; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the minced basil, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 thin patties. Place two pieces of string cheese on eight patties; top with remaining patties. Press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Place four burgers on the bottom of each loaf of bread; top with mozzarella cheese, basil leaves and tomato mayonnaise. Replace bread tops. Cut each loaf into four servings.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 936 calories, 54g fat (16g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 1275mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 52g protein.
Originally published as Basil Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.