- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm quinoa, spinach and cranberries. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, orange juice, vinegar, maple syrup, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in onion. Pour over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forQuinoa Wilted Spinach Salad
"My husband and adult kids thought this salad was delicious. I substituted chopped sweet onion for the green onion and reduced the amount of quinoa, probably by half. The toasted pecans were a great addition. I would not add anything else--there are lots of flavours that go really well together."
"This salad is great! Took it to work for lunch to share and we all liked it a lot; I'll be making it again. I substituted lime juice (didn't have any oranges), and chopped red onion, and reduced the amount of quinoa as others suggested. I'll be making it again soon. I'll add mandarin oranges next time, I think they'd be a great addition.Update April 2014: Made this again, this time I made the dressing as written, substituted toasted sesame seeds for the pecans and added mandarin oranges - EVEN YUMMIER! You'll love this one, folks!"
"Not my favorite quinoa salad, but one that I'm willing to eat again."
"Great salad. I cut the quinoa in half as someone suggested (and because I'm still trying to break my husband in to quinoa) and substituted diced sweet onion for the green onion, added diced cucumber and diced strawberries. Big hit, thinking about adding apples next time. Definitely will make again."
"Not a fan of the quinoa, might leave it out next time."
"This salad was very good; something different! I recommend using only 1/2 the recommended amount of Quinoa."
"First time I used quinoa -- and I'm so pleased it was for this delicious recipe!"