Quinoa Vegetable Salad
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely. Add the tomatoes, peas, carrot and shallot.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, parsley, thyme, oil, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Drizzle over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving.
- 3. Place spinach on a serving plate; top with quinoa salad.
1 each: 145 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jul 19, 2012
the dressing is way too tart for me. I had to had lots of sugar and some mayonaise to calm it down. Love quinoa but will look for a different dressing next time.