Here's an amazingly flavorful (and healthy) recipe my family will actually eat. You can omit sausage if you want to make it a side dish or even lighter. —Valarree Osters, Lodi, Ohio
Recommended: Easy Acorn Squash Recipes to Adore
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 small acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (about 8 ounces), casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cut squash crosswise in half; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each half to allow them to lie flat. Place on a baking sheet, hollow side up; brush tops with oil. Mix 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic powder; sprinkle over top. Bake until almost tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion over medium heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic, pepper and the remaining Italian seasoning and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in quinoa and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly. Stir in egg and parsley; spoon into squash.
- Bake until filling is heated through and squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and additional parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2018, p168