Quinoa, Fresh Fig and Honey-Balsamic Parfait
This quinoa yogurt parfait is special to me because of its wholesome ingredients. Quinoa is gluten-free, which is good for those who have food allergies, like my daughter. And I love fresh ripe figs when they are in season. Enjoy this for breakfast or dessert. —Dawn Hutchins, St. Johns, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 8 fresh figs, quartered
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 1-2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- In a small bowl, mix cooked quinoa, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Layer half of quinoa mixture, half of honey, balsamic vinegar, half of figs and half of yogurt into four parfait glasses. Top with remaining quinoa mixture, honey, yogurt and figs.
Test Kitchen tips