Quinoa & Black Bean-Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut and discard tops from peppers; remove seeds. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish, cut side down. Microwave, uncovered, on high until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Turn peppers cut side up.
- Reserve 1/3 cup salsa; add remaining salsa to quinoa. Stir in beans, ricotta cheese and 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese. Spoon mixture into peppers; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, until filling is heated through, 10-15 minutes. Top with reserved salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed pepper: 393 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 10g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 29, 2018
I was excited to try a new, healthier stuffed green pepper but was not impressed by these.
Feb 19, 2017
I had a late crop of green peppers from my garden and they were perfect for this recipe. I used a quinoa blend and replaced the ricotta cheese with cottage cheese, like I usually do for recipes. This dish tasted really good. It got a thumbs up from everyone.
Dec 8, 2015
I have been trying to find meatless entrees for dinner once a week. I really enjoyed this and didn't miss the meat, but my meat-loving husband was not impressed.
Nov 23, 2015