VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1-1/2 cups frozen peas (about 6 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Plain yogurt, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion and garlic with curry powder until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, chickpeas, sweet potato, coconut milk, sugar and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thickened and potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous and peas separately according to package directions. Stir salt into peas.
- To serve, divide couscous among six bowls. Top with chickpea mixture, peas, parsley and, if desired, yogurt. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Quickpea Curry in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018