Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Additional candied cherries and sliced almonds, optional
- In a bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets with the sugar. Stir in the water, butter, egg, lemon zest and extract to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface. Knead in raisins, candied fruit and almonds, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll or press dough into a 12x7-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1-in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheet; curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 20-30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk; spread over stollen. Decorate with cherries and almonds if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 251 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 24, 2013
I have made this for years and it is now a family favorite. Not dry like the traditional german stollen. Very moist. Much better than my German mother in laws version. It is so dry she puts melted butter over hers. This is moist like a cinnamon roll.