Quicker Blue-Ribbon Peanut Butter Torte
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (10 ounces) 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 2-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) cream cheese frosting
- 2 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside. Combine the cake mix, water, 1/2 cup peanut butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large bowl; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans (pans will have a shallow fill).
- Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Place chocolate chips in a large bowl. Bring cream and brown sugar to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour cream mixture over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining peanut butter until blended. Chill until mixture reaches a spreading consistency. Spread between layers.
- Frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with chopped candy bars and peanuts. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 798 calories, 46g fat (17g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 456mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (71g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 24, 2014
If you read the label on canned cream cheese frosting you will discover it doesn't contain cream cheese. I would make this cake with my own frosting.
Jan 24, 2014
With the peanut butter, Butterfingers, brown sugar and cream cheese frosting, it's safe to say that you will bust your carb/sugar intake! Enjoy an insanely large piece with a tall glass of milk, then take a walk in a truly beautiful winter wonderland!
Jan 31, 2013
One of the best tasting cakes I've ever had. Would like to have the Nutritional Information added to this recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.