Quick Wild Rice Soup
While my mother helped out on the family farm, I took over in the kitchen and have been cooking ever since. I often serve this soup with a loaf of warm bread.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 10 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 1 teaspoon drippings; saute onion in drippings.
- In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions. Stir in the soup, milk, cheese and onion. Crumble eight strips of bacon; add to soup. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Crumble remaining bacon and sprinkle over soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 355 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 972mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Quick Wild Rice Soup in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.