Quick Wild Rice Soup
While my mother helped out on the family farm, I took over in the kitchen and have been cooking ever since. I often serve this soup with a loaf of warm bread.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6-8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 10 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 1 teaspoon drippings; saute onion in drippings.
- In a large saucepan, cook rice according to package directions. Stir in the soup, milk, cheese and onion. Crumble eight strips of bacon; add to soup. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Crumble remaining bacon and sprinkle over soup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 355 calories, 23g fat (11g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 972mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Quick Wild Rice Soup in Country Pork