Quick Vegetable Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (4 quarts)
- 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shoepeg corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean and bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 328 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 12g fiber), 18g protein.
Jan 23, 2011
I've been making this recipe since it appeared in TOH, and it's a winter favorite. You can switch out different beans to your family's liking, and I use the spicy tomatoes and Rotel to give it a bit more kick. It's also a good recipe for leftover beans, which I cook a lot because we're not big meat-eaters. I make this soup in the slow cooker so it can simmer for several hours and serve it with cornbread and onions.
Jun 25, 2009
Feb 13, 2008
Why don't you have a calculator to reduce the size of the recipe for 2 servings.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.