Chris Boshoven of Hebron, Indiana told us she's had this recipe in her files for a long time and it's always a lunchtime favorite. She recommends draining the cabbage well, otherwise the sandwich will get soggy.
Recommended: 45 Comfort Food Mashups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
- 2/3 cup canned sweet-and-sour red cabbage
- 2 slices (1/2 ounce each) Monterey Jack cheese
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread; spread mayonnaise over the other side. On the mayonnaise side of two slices, layer the turkey, cabbage and cheese; top with remaining bread, buttered side up.
- On a griddle or in a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Reubens in Country Woman May/June 2006, p44