Quick Turkey Chop Suey
"Whenever I serve this chop suey to relatives or friends, I get asked for the recipe," writes Anne Powers of Munford, Alabama. Canned ingredients make it convenient to prepare.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted, divided
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (14 ounces) bean sprouts, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Hot cooked white or brown rice, optional
- In a nonstick skillet or wok, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink; drain. Add 1 cup broth and next four ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until celery is tender.
- Add bean sprouts. Combine the cornstarch, soy sauce and remaining broth; stir into turkey mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 208 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 850mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Quick Turkey Chop Suey in Light & Tasty June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.