Quick Turkey Casserole
Ann Hanel of San Jacinto, California whips up this fast-to-fix main dish in the microwave. "Everyone loves this creamy casserole, and it's a great way to use up leftover rice and turkey," she says. "I like to serve it with hot vegetable, rolls and fruit for dessert."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed reduced-fat reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fine cornflake crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a nonstick skillet, cook onions and sugar in butter and oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, place cream cheese in a shallow microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until softened. Add soup; stir until blended. Add the rice, turkey, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Toss onions with cornflake crumbs; arrange over turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until topping is heated through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 375 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Quick Turkey Casserole in Light & Tasty February/March 2004