Quick Swedish Meatballs
I can still remember Mother making this delicious recipe in an old iron skillet on her wood-burning stove years ago. It's such wonderful family fare, we still enjoy warming up with it on cold winter nights!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble meat over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil in small batches over medium heat; drain.
- Place meatballs in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine the soup and water; pour over the meatballs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for about 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve over egg noodles.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 294 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Swedish Meatballs in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.