- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup diced cooked carrots
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute rice in hot oil until lightly browned. Add the onion, garlic and salt if desired; cook over low heat until onion is tender. Add tomatoes; cook over medium heat until softened. Add water; cover and simmer until water is absorbed. Stir in broth, peas and carrots; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forQuick Spanish Rice
"This goes with any enchilada or burrito main dish."
"This was quite different from the Spanish rice my mom used to make, which involved canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, green pepper and bacon....a delicious rice dish in itself....but this went so nicely with the chicken torilla bake that accompanied it. The more highly flavored dish I think of when I think "Spanish rice" wouldn't have been as good as a companion for this recipe. We loved it, and when I make the chicken dish in the future, this is the rice dish I'll make to go with it."