Quick Skillet Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- Chow mein noodles
- In a large bowl, combine chicken and egg. Add the saltines, almonds and salt; toss well.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir chicken mixture in butter for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetables; saute for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in the water, juices and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetable mixture; heat through. Serve with rice and chow mein noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 383 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Feb 18, 2010
We liked this recipe and I will make it again. I made a couple of minor changes. The recipe sounded like it would be a little sweet for our taste so I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup. I then added chicken broth instead of the water. I was happy with the results.
Jan 31, 2010
I made this recipe tonight. I could taste the sweetness of the pineapple juice, but with the added lemon juice, it did not add a sweet and sour taste.Should I leave out the sugar next time? It was very tasty, just a tad too sweet. We did eat all with no leftovers.Thanks for an overall great recipe.
Jan 28, 2010
Yummy! Great with leftover pork or ham too! The chow mein noodles add just the right crunch. Definitely a keeper!