- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- Chow mein noodles
- In a bowl, combine chicken and egg. Add saltines, almonds and salt; toss well. In a skillet, saute chicken mixture in butter over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add vegetables; saute for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat and set aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water, juices and soy sauce. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables; heat through. Serve with rice and chow mein noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forQuick Skillet Chicken
"We liked this recipe and I will make it again. I made a couple of minor changes. The recipe sounded like it would be a little sweet for our taste so I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup. I then added chicken broth instead of the water. I was happy with the results."
"I made this recipe tonight. I could taste the sweetness of the pineapple juice, but with the added lemon juice, it did not add a sweet and sour taste.Should I leave out the sugar next time? It was very tasty, just a tad too sweet. We did eat all with no leftovers.Thanks for an overall great recipe."
"Yummy! Great with leftover pork or ham too! The chow mein noodles add just the right crunch. Definitely a keeper!"