Quick Shrimp Curry
I like to serve this shrimp curry with all of the toppings in bowls on the table. That way, everyone can take what they like. —Sharon Tipton, Casselberry, Florida
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- Optional: lime wedges, toasted coconut and chopped green onions
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, apple and celery; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in stock cream, curry powder, salt, mustard and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly reduced, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp; cook until shrimp turn pink, 6-8 minutes. Serve with rice and, if desired, optional toppings.
2/3 cup: 239 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC