Quick Sesame Toffee
This recipe originally came from a friend in Canada. The sesame seeds add a crispy texture and unique flavor to the toffee. It makes a great gift that friends and family are always happy to receive!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Evenly spread half of the sesame seeds in a well-greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish; set aside.
- In a heavy 2-1/2-qt. saucepan, melt butter. Add sugars and water; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour over sesame seeds in pan. Sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds; gently press with a spatula. Cool. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 334 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sesame Toffee in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1