Quick Sausage-Stuffed Squash
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of each squash so it sits flat. Place squash in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down. Microwave, covered, on high 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and celery over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove pan from heat; drain. Stir in sour cream.
- Turn squash cut side up. Spoon sausage mixture into centers of squash. Microwave, covered, 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with pepper.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 filled squash half: 371 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein.
Oct 11, 2015
I had a similar recipe from an lllinois newspaper l found on our way to Texas, 31 years ago.. It uses a buttercup squash and the same stuffing, but it is topped with grated parmesan cheese. We love it!
Nov 7, 2011
I modified this a bit but I used the same method of cooking. I used Italian turkey sausage and substituted mild peppers for the celery. I only had one large acorn squash, so the stuffing was heaped up pretty high. This was my first time to cook acorn squash, though, and I was quite pleased with it. Cooking the squash in the microwave worked well except that I have a small microwave and did not have a pan that would fit in there and allow me to cook both halves of the squash at the same time. Still, it did not take long and I could prepare the rest of the meal while the squash cooked. We will definitely have this again while winter squash is in season.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.