- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from bottom of each squash so it sits flat. Place squash in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down. Microwave, covered, on high 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, onion and celery over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove pan from heat; drain. Stir in sour cream.
- Turn squash cut side up. Spoon sausage mixture into centers of squash. Microwave, covered, 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forQuick Sausage-Stuffed Squash
"I had a similar recipe from an lllinois newspaper l found on our way to Texas, 31 years ago.. It uses a buttercup squash and the same stuffing, but it is topped with grated parmesan cheese. We love it!"
"I modified this a bit but I used the same method of cooking. I used Italian turkey sausage and substituted mild peppers for the celery. I only had one large acorn squash, so the stuffing was heaped up pretty high. This was my first time to cook acorn squash, though, and I was quite pleased with it. Cooking the squash in the microwave worked well except that I have a small microwave and did not have a pan that would fit in there and allow me to cook both halves of the squash at the same time. Still, it did not take long and I could prepare the rest of the meal while the squash cooked. We will definitely have this again while winter squash is in season."