Quick Peanut Butter Squares
"This recipe is so quick to make and uses ingredients usually found in ample supply in my cupboard," notes Marsha Murray of Niverville, Manitoba. "The chocolate-topped bars are a great take-along for potlucks and showers. They always disappear fast," she assures.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the peanut butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir in vanilla until combined. Add cereal; mix well. Spread into a greased 8-in. square pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Cut into squares.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Squares in Quick Cooking January/February 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.