Quick Orange Chicken Stir-Fry
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and broth until smooth. Stir in the orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in 1 teaspoon canola oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until juices run clear; remove and keep warm. Stir-fry the red pepper, peas, onion, orange zest and garlic in remaining oil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Return chicken to the pan.
- Stir orange juice mixture; pour over chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 303 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 28, 2010
I made this exactly as written and my husband and I found it to be well seasoned and perfectly orange. It was subtle, but there. I served this stir fry with a brown rice-wild rice blend from a packet that cooked in the microwave in 90 seconds and I liked the texture this gave it. We just sprinkled some crushed red pepper flakes on top and it was a fabulous week day meal!