Quick ‘N’ Easy Bean Pot
I find it's difficult to cook beans from scratch, so this recipe, using canned beans, is especially valuable to me. The beans turn out great every time. Marion Foster, Kirkton, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15-3/4 ounces each) pork and beans
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp; drain. Stir in the beans, brown sugar, mustard and coffee. Pour into an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 135 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Quick 'N' Easy Bean Pot in Country Extra July 2005