Quick Mushroom Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- In a Dutch oven, stir the soups and water until smooth. Add meat and bay leaves. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and tapioca. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Discard the bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 297 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Jul 4, 2016
I was confused that the recipe didn't call for browning the stew meat before putting it in the oven, so I dusted the meat with flour and then browned it. I followed the recipe as written for the rest. Turned out pretty good. My husband and my picky 98 year old mother both enjoyed it, especially the mushrooms. I will probably make it again and we are looking forward to the leftovers!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.