- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) small white beans or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Crumbled queso fresco and additional cilantro, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes. If desired, top with cheese and additional cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forQuick Mexican Bean Soup
"A very quick soup - but delicious and filling - and good for you! Even my husband, who is not such a big bean eater, thought it was very good. I used dehydrated onions since I did not have onion powder. And because my husband does not care for the size of butter beans, I chopped them up before adding them. I think it made the soup a little thicker/creamier."
"I agree with ms11145: you can use just about any beans -- chili or kidney or pinto. I hate butter beans. :-) I also put grated cheddar cheese on top."